Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400

  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 21:32:54 -0700 (PDT)

>I recently subscribed to Journal HostaScience published by The Hosta
>Hybridizers Group and received the first issue.

This is a silly question and I know you don't have the answer, but I
will ask it anyway.  Why does a HortaScience Journal need to publish
information/articles about hosta hybridizing?  Isn't this something
that the Hosta Journal should be doing!?

What amazes me is that it really doesn't make any difference what
genera we are talking about, the journal of the main society of that
group rarely discusses hybridizing of that genera in any detail.  The
Daylily Journal sucks when it comes to articles about hybridizing
daylilies, the Iris Society Journal doesn't have much information
about Iris hybridizing and the North American Lily Society Bulletin
doesn't have much information about hybridizing lilies.  It seems that
plant societies are more interested in promoting themselves then in
promoting the plant they represent.

I haven't yet been inspired to join the Hosta Society, and the fact
that another group has to publish a journal about hosta hybridizing
only reinforces my reluctance to join the Hosta Society.

Joe Halinar