All in a days work at the PANTHEON

  • Subject: All in a days work at the PANTHEON
  • From: JMFLIES@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:41:01 EDT

My husband John, as been traveling a lot with work ... in fact to much.
Nonetheless, this past week he got home on Saturday at noon only to leave on
Sunday a.m.  He had traveled to Kansas City and then back through just to repack
and go again.  Before he left, I had asked him to help me with 'just' two things
... I needed to have him check the electric fence and repair it wherever,
deer are frequenting the yard.  The other thing was to show me how to run the
gun.  We have a woodchuck that thinks that living under our sunroom is just
wonderful.  He has only chewed the irrigation pipes twice, not to mention the big
hole right at the pathway.  Of course, he is never out when John is home.  This
being a heavy acorn year I knew it would be a matter of time and he would be
out more often. So I've decided to take matters into my own hands ... A WOMAN

I just spent and hour and a half sitting on the deck in le of dealing with
the woodchuck.  But all I got was a sore butt and pelted with acorns.  He never
did come out.

I did get myself set up on the deck just perfectly.  Before I did that I put
the kids (cats) into the garage so they could not see how much of a villain
their mother was.  Let alone scarred for the rest of their lives.  I made sure
Sweetie (little dog) could not come out either.

I found that the little plastic cocktail table on the deck was just perfect.
I could rest the gun on it and be at the right angle to where I needed to be.
 When I looked through the scope I could see the whole area that I needed.

It is extremely windy here ... thought that this would help me with all the
movement and if I moved he possibly would not see me.  But maybe it is scarring
him ... I do not know.  I cannot remember what they say on the hunting
channel ... sitting upwind or sitting downwind ... and then to think that I do not
have any Woodchuck pee to put on myself.  In fact, I cannot remember seeing any
advertised ... better yet, have not seen a woodchuck hunting show either ...
what gives.

The thought also ran through my mind that he could be in the new enlarged bed
on the back side of the sunroom that I can see through ... but I believe this
qualifies as an obstacle.

I keep looking out there ... if I spot him I will go, I have the gun where I
can get it without being seen.  I think I can get to the tree without any
problems ... its just that I won't have any thing to help me stay stead.

Believe it or not I started feeling remorse for him and I hadn't even killed
him yet.  But changed my mind on all this when it was going after 1:30 (his
normal time to be out) and he was late.  That was not a good move for him ... he
could have been spared.

I'm taking this very SERIOUSLY.........
Just to show you how serious this is ... as I'm sitting there with my sore
butt with my shoulder down to the butt of the gun with one eye on the scope ...
two eyes don't work here, by the way ... and the other on the garden, and my
left hand on the body of the gun to keep it stead ... my index finger that is
on the trigger starts to tremble ... I realize that with the safety off this
whole time that I could have done some serious damage ... like shot Hebe, David,
and/or Rebecca (statuary).  How would I explain...............  Then I
wonder, if John goes through any of this on his hunting excursions.

Prior to my quest to get this critter I do ask John where I'm supposed to aim
at him ... in my mind, a head shot is out ... I don't want his face ruined
for the mount.  After all, this being my first hunt ,,, shouldn't it get mounted
and hung with all of John's trophies???  And seeing I'm the decorator, I get
to pick the spot.  Do you suppose John will regret the day he showed me how to

The credits go to my husband and the hunting channel.  Tomorrow another day!

Is it to early for a glass of wine????

Have a good day!
- Joyce

Joyce M. Flies