Re: Crowned Imperial vs Gloriosa?

  • Subject: Re: Crowned Imperial vs Gloriosa?
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:43:18 -0400

Most of the time, not always, 'Gloriosa' has a uniform, thin margin and the
leaves are cupped due to a little drawstrings effect in well grown plants.
'Crowned Imperial' is similar in size and has a more irregular margin, thin
but in places getting broader and streaky. It was originally described by
Walters Gardens with a 1/2 inch margin but it is not always that wide. The
leaves are a bit cupped too, but not as much as 'Gloriosa' and they are
larger 9 by 6 inches. Frankly, I have seen places where both looked exactly
alike, but then in other gardens they were quite different in their margins,
with 'Gloriosa' always a bit more uniform from leaf to leaf. Mature
'Gloriosa' usually has smaller leaves, about 8 by 4 1/2 to 5 inches, and the
margin is always very narrow. HTH George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North