Organic Mix for Hostas?

  • Subject: Organic Mix for Hostas?
  • From: "Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC" <irismoose@daylily.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:45:13 -0400

Today I had planned to pick up 6 yards of "organic mix" from our local dirt
supplier.  This mix is 50% soil conditioner and 50% composted horse manure.
The hosta bed I am preparing is in a shaded wooded section of our front yard
and because of tree roots I am not going to till the area.  Instead I am going
to simply build a raised bed with the organic mix.

Is this organic mix detrimental to the hostas or is this an o.k. medium to
plant them in.  I do plan to add pea gravel to each hole and surrounding area
where I plant each hosta to help combat the voles.

Thanks for your input.

Bobby Baxter
Your Web Site Is Waiting For You

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
Happy Moose:  http://happymoosegardens.com

We specialize in designing web sites for plant lovers!
daylilies, hostas, irises, orchids, cacti, perennials, etc.