Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?

  • Subject: Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:49:04 -0400

Hi Ray and All,
      I have a streaked ventricosa here too and I tried making crosses on it
this year. I'm not too sure about the apomixis thing myself. I understand
that ventricosa plants were tested and proved apomixic, but with so many
seedlings around, I can't help but wonder if some are not. One of these
years I'll play around with removing stamens early and trying to pollenate.
      Here's a picture of my plant -
http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/StreakedVentricosa.jpg
      I'm going to go against the grain and predict streaked seedlings from
this plant. I don't see why it wouldn't give them, as the streaking looks
pretty much standard. Even if apomictic, some eggs should have been formed
of mosaic (streaked) tissue, so the resulting seedlings should be streaked.
Shall we have a wager?
                                         .........Bill Meyer