Re: Policy

HoroRL@aol.com wrote:
> Good morning to all:
> Once again I have been appalled at the AHS.  The governing board and
> listserver owners have turned me off.  Gardening is about friendship, sharing
> plants, sharing ideas, learning, etc..  Politics belong at the town, city,
> states, etc. level. It is these politics that have turned me off as well
> [another story]. Not in a plant society.
> I take exception to only two things of all the posts I have read with
> interest: 1. Name calling which I find childish and 2. Character maligning.
> It's a shame that Jim has to waste his time in his valid efforts to find out
> what has happened to him.  I strongly agree with Jim that if he is being
> accused of some wrong doing that he is entitled to the who, what, and when.
> Understanding the to err is human.  Therefore, as in business or life, err on
> the side the light side.  One can change ones mind after assessing both sides
> of the story.
> I have never met Jim only on-line.  We post each other occasionally and
> discuss trading hosta for about the last two years.  I believe that Jim does
> not have a mean bone in his body nor does he speak ill of anyone.
> We are at the bottom line. As an active nonpolitical member of AHS, I would
> like to see posted:  1. What the violation(s) are that Mr. hawes is being
> accused of and 2. Who has made a complaint.  As several members have
> said...these a simple, uncomplicated, nonpolitical questions.
> I do not remember reading any post from any board member on the goings on.
> Lastly, I belong to other plant society listservers.  I have yet to see any
> of them embroiled in politics or even any violations of the listserver levied
> out.
> Hostally,
> Rich Horowitz
> Stoughton MA
Here is simply a symptom of the general tendency of the AHS to do most
"important" things in secracy.  This obviously includes chastisment for
real or imagined infractions on the AHS robin.  I am seeing a real
tendency, for what to me, is the opposit of improvement, that is to
simply pass out decisions from a few, including "the hosta Police"amd
then with  little or no explination ,tell us "this is the rule"  I can
tell you that many more folks than those posting here are very upset by
these kinds of policies.  I have recently talked to several of the
"Hosta Greats" and they are universially opposed to the direction the
AHS seems to be going.  I must make a partial defense here of two
people, however.  One is Carolyn Schaffner, who I believe is being used
by people with "not so obvious" motives.  I don't know why she puts up
with the antics of the AHS and the directives of the Secret committie.
Her best move right now would be to resign. I would!  The other is Jim
Wilkens.  I believe he also may be being used by others who are out to
shape the AHS to their own liking.  I am still willing , However, to
give him and Calrence Falstad all the time they need to cure some of
this.  I would just like to see some resl progress on some of the AHS
problems.  These center , primiarly around an awful communications
difficulty,(a problem I have discussed with Jim W.)that seems to be
inharent in the AHS
Ran Lydell