He explained eloquently that " As with so much else in the world of
words, belief is sadly not important anymore...it is PERCEPTION. I feel
that you were perceived  (and by me too) as making an inappropriate
secondary attack on these individuals as well as the appropriate attack
on the policies and ideas."

Let me put this as eloquently as this malcontent can;
PERCEPTION MY ASS ........stick to your guns Jim

Mediocre minds usually dismiss anything which reaches beyond their own
Francois LaRochefoucauld     Reflections, or, sentences and moral maxims
still relevant after 300+ years...................