Re: AHS Robin/On the Term "Personal Attack"

At 06:11 PM 9/9/99 EDT, you wrote:
>I have heard very good friends engaged in conversation where one says to the
>other, "I think your idea is stupid (or dumb, etc.). Is such a "personal

In my mind, the difference is between saying "Your idea is stupid," and
"You are stupid for having that idea."

Now, admittedly, there are some, who upon hearing the first, infer that it
is the second that is meant. For example, imagine telling a newcomer to the
list, "That's a dumb question."  Be willing to bet nine out of ten would
interpret that as "You are a dumb person," and would never be heard from

And by definition you cannot "personally attack" an organization, such as
the AHS.

Finally (I think I have said this before) for all list members: Attack my
ideas with all the force and passion that you can muster, force me to
defend them! But do not attack me personally; you haven't the right.