Re: Discussion plants with lots of new growth

In a message dated 9/11/1999 8:07:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
SECK138@aol.com writes:

<< I went to a meeting where it was mentioned that we
 have all bought plants that were thriving only to have them come back up in
 the spring considerably smaller.  That the thriving plant could have been
 forced with fertilizers to become big too quick and was in fact a young
 plant.   What are others thoughts on this subject.  Thanks Chris

This is a valid observation, I would like to make a few observations to go
along side the above condition. If we buy our Hosta on the bases of the
number of leaves or the number of divisions it has, this does not mean we are
buying the plant that will be the largest one next year.
What I look for in a Hosta that I want to be large next year is the thickness
of the stem at the soil level or junction of the crown and the root growth.
The thicker the base of the stems the larger the plant.

A plant with one or two nice sized stems is going to be larger than a plant
with 5 to 10 smaller stems-even if it has lots more foliage.

Pot size DOES matter, plants in a smaller pot do not spread there roots out
and do not have as large of eyes as a plant in a one gallon pot.

Field dug plants that have been cut from the crown of a large plant with a
knife or shovel will many times be smaller next year. The reason for this is
that a lot of the areas on the rhizome do not have vascular connections to
roots and many of the roots do not have connections to any actively growing
crown tissue.
The plant has to grow all new roots and replace sections of the crown too.
This is the reason I prefer to do as little cutting when dividing.

When buying a new plant I find that it is best to remove all the soil from
the plants roots and spread them out and fill with soil from the area that
they will be growing in.

I remember one year a gentle man was looking at some of the Hosta I was
selling and made the comment that he had purchased plants that looked that
large before from other places and that they come up smaller the next year.
The problem with the plants he had purchased before was that they were crown
divisions made when the plants were all ready large and they had not been
given the conditions they need to produce optimal root growth in there
containers, so when he planted them they "shrunk" over the winter to their
appropriate size corresponding to the root mass and amount of crown material
resulting in smaller eyes.

Paul