Proxies and other matters

Dear Jim;
  Thank you for taking the time to respond to all the questions that have
been raised on the various robins over AHS policies and administration. I
am in no way involved in production, sale, or hybridization of Hostas.
Therefore, I am not in a position to comment on the IAC and preferred
Grower program except as an outsider. I am simply a member with a great
love for the genus and a desire to belong to a social and educational
Society that shares that love.

But I think there is an underlying problem here, that is pointed out by
both Clyde and Jim below. It disturbs me that I pay dues to a Society where
so much power for decision-making resides in such a small proportion of the
Society, and where I have no vote unless I attend the annual convention.

As discussed on hosta-open, proxies may not be the most effective way of
giving me a voice, but absentee or mail balloting can be. I have pointed
out in several e-mails to hosta-open that even larger societies of which I
am a member use mail balloting for both procedural changes and elections.
It is admittedly expensive and time consuming for those conducting the
voting. But I would rather have a say in my society than receive a glossy
Yearbook.  As for time-consuming, all I can do here is offer to serve on an
election committee formed specifically to manage mail balloting. I am not
political, and have absolutely no designs on seeking a place within the AHS
hierarchy, but do feel strongly enough about this issue to be willing to
put my money where my mouth is.

I believe that much of the dissention surrounding the IAC, PG Program, and
administration of the AHS Robin could be calmed if members felt they had a
choice in whether policies were adopted or not.

Gerry O'Neill
53 Outer Dr
Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37830
(423) 482-3549  (after 6:00 pm)

>In a message dated 9/13/1999 8:09:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
>hostadocta@pop.voyager.net writes:
><< 9)  Concerning proxies, there are no provisions to vote by proxy in
> >our by-laws. >>

At 01:41 AM 9/14/99 EDT, Clyde replied:
>Dear Jim,
>The fact there are no provisions in our By-Laws regarding proxy voting does
>not mean that that cannot be done. There is no provision in the U.S.
>Constitution that permits or authorizes the U.S. Supreme Court to declare
>Acts of Congress unconstitutional---but it is done.
>I should think that you would want the opinions (i.e. votes) of ALL the
>members of the AHS--not just those who are able to attend conventions.
Additionally, Jim Hawes said on Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:36:38 -0400

Our trip was decided upon by
others...not the membership...and now you are asking everyone to get on
board? Why? What are the rewards? And what will it cost us? I prefer the

inaction of NOT going,  in the absence of not knowing  why we are going