Open Questions to the President

Dear Mr. President,

After our almost two hour telephone conversation of Wednesday evening on
Sept. 15, 1999, as a concerned member of AHS,  want to espress  some
disappointment that I was not able to reach any agreement with you
except on your recent decision that the  Preferred Growers element of
the IAC Program should be put on hold. It has been stated that it will
not be implemented because of overwhelming opposition to it by growers.
I learned of this decision in an e-mail   post from Clarence Falstad in
the first week of September, 1999, as did others who are closely
following events on IAC..

In our discussion, I also tried to express that the "rules" described by
you and your staff concerning non-participation in leaf shows with
unregistered hostas, refusal  to accept donations of unregistered plants
for sale at the convention  auction , prohibition of mention of
unregistered hostas or their photos in AHS publications and in AHS
events represent policies even more harmful than the Preferred Growers
element of the IAC Program. These "rules" seem to be aimed at all
members in general, while your Preferred
Growers project  was directed only at growers.

What is difficult to understand  is WHY you insist upon such rigid rules
which, by abiding by them,   NO apparent benefits accrue to those
non-grower members.

You explained that you , as the author of the IAC Program  and the
Board,  have a right to establish whatever rules you wish because these
rules will apply to AHS activiites over which you have control. You have
not explained WHY you insist upon these repressive , harmfully
suppressive  rules. In the absense of an explanton, one must assume that
you are exercising  your authority to initiate and inforce them as you
will,  irrespective  of the many voices of protest from members. Are
more voices needed for you to heed our pleas?

Now that you have put the Preferred Growers element of IAC on hold until
further study, why not consider putting the "rules" being applied to
non-growers also on hold until further study.? This seems only fair and
reasonable, does it not? Thus,  neither Preferred Growers nor Preferred
Non-growers will be harmed by the IAC Program..

Jim Hawes