Examples of harm

Sandi Markland asked me to give some examples of how the IAC could hurt
anyone. She sees how it might hurt hybridizers...isn't this enough of a
reason to bury it?

But I will give some obvious examples for those without any imagination.

Suppose Alex Summers is selecting seedlings from seed collected in
Japan...he grows on 200 of them. They  have Japanese horticultural
names, the seed bearing  parent , that is...species longipes called l.
Aki Tenryu, a type of longipes lancea,  with narrow leaves, some of
which resemble tortifrons. He selects 10 or twenty of them. He gives
them names of his choice. They are marvelous. He decides to write an
article and describe them to share the wonderful  experiences with
others in the Society which he co- founded. He sends the article to
Kevin for publishing. Kevin is now in a dilemma...either bootleg the
article, breaking the rules of the IAC or sending Alex a reason why his
article has to be turned down...because it breaks the rules established
by IAC.

2. Want another one...OK,  Jim Hawes and a partner buys a plant at the
AHS auction in Cedar Rapids Iowa in 1993. We pay 510 dollars for it...H.
'Chirifu", not registered but wanted by Kevin, Bob Solberg and Alan
Tower who stopped when the bid reached 500 dollars. After several years
I decide to give a clump of this plant to the AHS Convention
auction...four divisions ought to bring over a 1000 dollars easily. But
AHS auction officials won't except it as a donation...why, ?: it's not
registered. So I take my plant home, probably vowing not to embarrass
myself again with an offering of less value than the one turned down. .

3 Want some more examples? Ok, I have a plant I imported from Japan.
Urajiro Hachijo which Robyn Duback sells for  175 dollars. I save some
seed , sow it. Up come some wonderful seedlings with purple petioles,
scallopped edges, white backs, one of which reminds me of Marilyn
Monoe's skirt blowing up by the wind. So, I tissue culture it, have now
about a hundred or so which I plan to give to friends. Maybe I will put
it in a leafshow  and win all kinds of awards. But I can't use the name
I select...because it's not registered yet. It's only one year old.. I
tell the officials  that I will not use a number, or any other epithep
as they have so arbitraily told me I must do. I tell them goodby. I go
home vowing not to undergo that embarrassing experience again.

Want another example..........
I know what you are saying. I must adjust to the rules. The hell I do! I
will not adjust to stupid rules.

Jim Hawes