Re: Examples of harm

Sam020857@aol.com wrote:

>    Ray:
>
>    I understand what you are saying, but I think rare plants and breeding
> stock are readily available through other sources.  Why would I feel the need
> to attend a Convention to secure an unregistered selection?
>
>    While it is possible that the AHS may end up cheating itself of the
> proceeds on such plants, I still don't see the IAC and push to register
> plants as cheating the consumer.
>
> Sandie

I agree that "marketable" Hosta should be registered. The IAC is only a small
portion of what is happening. The direction that the rulings are headed, The AHS
doesn't want any transactions of unregistered Hosta. Members of the AHS should
be like testing grounds, being more knowledgable than the general public. If the
plant is a hit among members, it will make it to the population (via TC labs and
growers). Then get it registered. Why force registration on an untested plant. I
just don't believe that under present rule, there is any support for
transactions of untested plants. That goes also for breeding stock that has
quality for breeding purposes only.

A society is set-up to promote its theme in all given ways. The word should be "
Hostas are wonderful, pass the word---if you join in with us we can help you get
the plants you want". What I have heard lately is "if it isn't registered, you
shouldn't have it--- because we don't want unregistered Hosta sold.

Ray