Re: Examples of harm

Sam020857@aol.com wrote:

> Chick:
>
>    Are we not mixing the IAC with the Preferred Grower Program here?

Well, not in my opinion.  They are definitely not the same thing, but they are
related.  The Preferred Grower Program applies, obviously, only to growers.  The
IAC is a list of plants that, unless registered by 1/1/01, the AHS will pretend
do not exist.  They can't be pictured or mentioned in the Journal, the name tags
would have to be hidden in convention tour gardens, and a bunch of other silly
stuff.

Somehow, the board feels that this will force people to register their plants.
Those plants that are not registered will be shunned.  And what does the
membership gain by pretending these hostas don't exist?  Absolutely nothing.  If
a friend offers you a division of Embroidery, or even Blue Seer, Savannah, or
Tatoo, will you say "No thank you, it's unregistered".  I doubt it.  And if you
wouldn't, can you say that the program makes sense?  It's kind of like the 55mph
limit.  Most people supported it because they drove 65 anyway.  I think it's a
basic axiom of rule making that you shouldn't make rules that you know people are
going to ignore.

My guess is that most people in the society think the program won't hurt anyone
because they can't see how it affects them.  But the stated intent of the program
is to keep unregistered hostas from being sold, and there is no reason to keep
them from being sold except to make them unavailable to you.  If you think it is
the business of the AHS to decide which hostas belong in your garden and which
don't, based not on the merit of the plant but on whether or not it has been
registered, then you should support the program.

Chick