Re: Registering

Jean Carpenter wrote:

> Question:  What is to stop people from just naming their own plants and
> selling them to others?
>      Registering means nothing to lots of people. In fact, people who don't
> know the names of hosta and there are a lot of those,  # 1. could care less
> if they are named or not, #2. buy them because of their color or
> variegation, or just because they like them, #3. have no idea that there
> even is a hosta society and IMO would be appalled at its tactics and what is
> going on within the "society".   Registering means to me that it will be a
> high price tag for a few years until it becomes more available.  I just
> don't understand the reasoning except the money involved. Anyone want to
> explain it without being nasty?  Jean

Well, it's more fun if I can be nasty, but I'll try.  The first part of your
post is correct, many people do not care.  The second part is not.  Registering
has no effect on the cost of the plant because the people who determine the
price, the buyers and the sellers, do not consider registration as a factor.
Supply and demand determine price and registration does not affect either.

There is nothing to stop people from naming and selling plants that are not
registered.  It happens every day and will continue.  Registration brings some
semblence of order to the process by keeping information about plants in a
central location.  It is simply record keeping and there is nothing sinister
about it.  The major battle going on here is not about registration.  Sometimes,
it is possible to agree that an end result is worthwhile, and disagree about how
to get there and at what cost.

Chick