Foliar Nematode Research for Resistant Cultivars

I was surprised to learn that some of the Foliar Nematode Research money
was going to be spent on searching for resistant cultivars.

In my opinion, this is entirely a waste of money.  While a proposed
$25,000. budget sounds like a lot of money, it doesn't go far when spent
on research.

What we need are controls for foliar nematodes, not resistant varieties.
I bet $25,000. will not even be enough money to find good controls, let
alone do research looking for resistant varieties.

For the maximum return on our money spent we need to focus only on
control at this time. When the AHS runs into a large amount of money,
maybe $100,000.,  we can look for resistant varieties.

I suspect there are no hostas that are resistant to foliar nematodes,
especially when you consider the large number of other plants that are

I hate to think AHS money is being spent for researchers purposefully
infecting hostas with foliar nematodes looking for resistant varieties.
With 3,000 or so cultivars, it's going to be a long search.

What we need are specific instructions on how to rid foliar nematodes
from our hostas.

I have known this information since the convention in June of this year.
This kind of spending of club money needs to be made public BEFORE it is
spent and before people donate money and plants for the cause.

It's our society, and we have a right to have a voice in these decision
making processes.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7