Re: Foliar Nematode Research

Dan,

I read your posts of repartee'  with Clarence which I found to be very
revealing. He asked questions of your use of Vydate L with suggestions
that you were incorrect since your experience did not correspond with NC
Extension Service reserarch.Since you are way ahead of the curve
(compared to Clarence) I suggest you continue to give the good advice
you are giving.

You suggested that "spending of club money needs to be made public
BEFORE it is spent and before people donate money and plants for the
cause". I agree with you.

Clarence "respectfully": disagreed, altho he" would love to present each
proposal to the entire membership before acting on it". I don't think
you suggested this but he was quick to justify NOT making any
information known to the public because it would not be cost effective.

I suggest that other motives are at work. It is called "control and
manipulation" . It is control over money, information, proceedures,
decisions, policy, etc.,  on and on. These manipulations keep control in
the hands of a few on the Board and their minions.  When will people in
positions of power in AHS come to realize that the organization belongs
to the membership?  That we want a say in policy, proceedures, use of
funds, etc. We are not supposed to be treated like we have no sense or
are juvenile.

Clarence did the same thing to me when I wrote "Photoperiodism in
Hostas" several years ago. He was asked to review the draft of the
article both on the Scientific Round Robin and as Scientific Chairman of
the Journal. He made no comments until two year later, chewing me out
for writing an article without first doing some experiments to prove my
theory. Then , without advising others in advance,  he gave a grant to a
University in his home state to do research on Photoperiodism ( perhaps
because he wanted to prove I was wrong in my analytic and
observationally based article). The University research proved what I
had described...that hosta cultivars are responsive to critical
photoperiods of 13 1/2 hours. This research vindicated my article but
Clarence has never acknowledged this. The grant mentioned was made at
that time without public announcements also...so it's standard practice
to decide and take action without input of any kind from membership. It
is time that things change.

I wonder under what authority Clarence speaks when he "respectfully"
disagrees?
VP? Former Scientific Chair of the Journal? Owner of Prime plants?
Employee of Walters Gardens? or his vast experience as a scientist?

Jim Hawes