I.C.A. Birthday Party Tour

Robins,

It's at least a year old now. But is  that what   we want? I say NO!

What is I.A.C?  It is a policy/program dreamed up but one or more people
to do something....get hostas registered at all costs.

WHY was it dreamed up? Who knows? Probably because a new President
thought  he must have a new direction...somewhere to go. The "reason for
being"  of the I.A.C. may be that the American Hosta Society is the
Registration Authority for hostas ...so let's get all hostas registered!
Come Hell or High Water! Register or else! say the rules which become
the new hosta invironment. Clean out all of the hostas not registered!
Don't sell them! Don't take photos of them! Don't write articles about
them! Don't take them to Hosta Conventions...we don't want them even if
you give them to us! You can't sell them at vending tables, you can't
buy them...not even in your rooms! We are MINIMIZING them, haven't you
heard? We are "HONORING" those who obey the new rules we made up. Don't
anyone say it out loud but we are Not Honoring anyone who doesn't obey
the rules...in fact, this may actually be like dishonoring those  who
might get out of line and not wish to obey the rules. Thus by the rules,
we have re-created a new Society WHERE THERE IS NOT SOCIAL JUSTICE. It
is no longer democratic. It is no longer even "AMERICAN". The opposite
of social equality is snobbery. Now we have a Society  that is split
down the middle...with those who want social justice on one side and
those   who don't allow it on the other. Shall we name this side the
Unamerican Registered Hosta Society? and the side which believes  in
democratic principles the American Registered/Unregistered Hosta
Society? That is what we will have if we redesign our policies to fit
our new, but faulty  notion that registration is more important than the
Society itself.

Could more benign policies have been developed  to get 100 percent
cooperation from members? A big YES. More benign means to establish an
environment where things happen freely on their own because our
membership supports things that make common sense....like an open
Society where there is freedom of choice and  a high level of
volunteerism. Good ideas and improved proceedures is what we need and
want...in an atmosphere where cooperation is natural, not an atmosphere
of rigid rules which punish members if rules are not followed. We want
an atmosphere where information flows freely and quickly to benefit
all...an atmosphere without conflict...an atmosphere of friendship.

Instead , the I.A.C. has created what we don't want. It has stiffled
cooperation, volunteerism, friendship, freedom of choice and creativity.
These characteristics have fled to other activities outside the AHS in
the form of individual databases, pixlists, Hosta Photo libraries, sport
wheel committees, list servers and other volunteer groups which are
filling vacuums left by the restrictive environment created by new,
faulty AHS policies. If the AHS wants these talents back, it must alter
the environment to make it more friendly.

As a Society, we took the wrong turn. Our Board of Directors has not
served us ( the membership) well. But it has done well for "us" , the
royal us, meaning the Board. Time for slamming on the brakes....
screeching to a panic stop. Get out the roadmap. We are lost. How do we
find our way back to where we were? Where did we make the wrong turn? I
remember...at the intersection of IAC and the AHS Robin, both with their
restrictive rules and lack of social equality. We must find our way back
to democracy within the Society.

(to be continued)

Jim Hawes