Re: Bottom heat mats

Hello Ronald,

I have been propagating seeds under lights in my basement for a number
of years. When I conducted research and looked into the cost of
"commercial" heating mats, it was quite cost prohibitive for the amount
of area I wanted to heat. My solution- an electric blanket. I place the
blanket on the tabletop, cover it with a tarp, sometimes doubling the
tarp if I am unsure of my ability to regulate the blanket's heater and
place the flats of seeds on top. Whatever you use to cover the blanket
it MUST be waterproof. I have also heard of others who utilize waterbed
heaters, but I found the blanket a handy solution. Hope this assists.

I continue to enjoy this group, but wish I would hear more often from
the hardy geranium growers and collectors.

Suzy McQuown/ USDA Hardiness Zone 6b/Southcentral Pennsylvania/USA