  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing(2)
  • From: Ed Olson Moore <H20wrx@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 05:00:32 EDT

Can you cross a Regal with a zonal. I wouldn't doubt tht scientists in a lab,
using embryo rescue techniques, could. But for the average Joe Gardener the
answer is no. The reason is that the parents of regals and the parents of
zonals are more distantly related. Not only do they have different basic
chromosome numbers, but they also have different chromosome sizes. However,
the plants in section Pelargonium, like P. citronellum, P.tomentosum, P.
capitatum, etc. all have the same basic chromosome number and size as regals.

Sorry I got side tracked. Back to the basic topic of hybridizing.
I use telephone cord wire to hold my label. I cut the wire into manageable
sized sections, maybe a foot in length, strip off a section of insulation,
and pull the three wires out. The wires are thin and also insulated and wrap
easily around the pedicel. Since my plants are all protected from our heavy
Florida rains, I use regular thin paper for my pollination labels- old
business cards or index cards cut into small sections. The labels include a
log number, the date of pollination, and the pollen parent. Records are
critical. My log book includes the log number, date, info on both parents,
source of seeds if I'm working with species , even sometimes time of day or
weather conditions,any special procedures I may use,etc.

Holding a flower, a magnifying glass, and pollen- whether it be on a camel
hair brush, sterile forceps, or whatever, is a real juggling act. I bought a
cheap visor type magnifier. The magnification is strong enough that I cut
the pollen parent flower, remove the petals and sepals with my fingers,  and
use it directly to transfer pollen to the stigma. You can probably find these
visor type glasses at any hobby store.

Be persistant. Because a cross doesn't work a few times, doesn't mean it
won't work at all.  And finally, try the cross in both directions.
It's all trial and error. It's a learning experience and it's fun.

Good Luck!