Hybridizing

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing
  • From: Ed Olson Moore <H20wrx@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:22:43 EDT

 Hi Sandy-
You can find an up-to-date list of Pelargonium species related to the zonals
(P. x hortorum) -section Ciconium, and those related to regals (P. x
domesticum) - sections Pelargonium and Glaucophyllum, along with a ton of
info on the following excellent web site:
<A HREF="http://www2.arnes.si/~mstrli/pp.html";> Pelargonium page</A>

I've gone thru an assortment of scientific articles and compiled a list of
about 175 species of Pelargoniums with chromosome numbers , sizes, etc. I'm
in the process of double checking these references.

 I just got back into pelargoniums a few years ago- after about a 30 year
hiatus. The down time was self imposed, as I moved from Southern California
to Florida about that time, and didn't believe I could grow pelargoniums
here. Initial attempts were quite frustrating.
 I have spent quite a bit of time dealing with intense sunlight, high heat,
high humidity and heavy rains, usually from spring thru fall. Last year I
lost  all of my seedlings from my 2000 crosses and quite a few species
seedlings, due to early spring, intense rains. At that time my entire
collection was out in the open, under someone elses care for about a week. I
now have structures that provide partial shade and full protection from
everything but the most intense rains. That seems to have solved my problem.
I still have seeds from my 2000-2002 crosses,but am in the process first of
backing up my collection, especially of Pelargonium species with cuttings. I
also have seeds of crosses made by my father , Carlos Moore, 30+ years ago,
but I don't believe any of these seeds are viable. I'll check them out
anyway.

A few years ago, I read an article that stated that of the 250+ Pelargonium
species , less than 10 have contributed to horticulture in developing the
regal, zonal and ivy geraniums. There's  a lot of genetic material out there
that hasn't been tapped. While stellars have an unusual leaf shape, they
don't touch some of  the incredible leaf shapes found in Pelargonium
alchemilloides, which is closely related to zonals. My goals are to try to
develop unusual hybrids, and to develop pelargoniums that will do well
outdoors, year-round in our harsh Florida environment. I believe both can be
accomplished by crossing hybrids with species.

My seeds are stored in #1 coin envelopes, which can be purchased at any
office supply store.
Ed