Re: Alert: Proposed USDA Noxious Weeds Program

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Alert: Proposed USDA Noxious Weeds Program
  • From: Mary <mscontrary@POBOX.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:00:53 -0700

 Phil Bunch <pbunch@CTS.COM> wrote:

> I work in the
> regulatory context and have some experience with the folks that
> implement such programs. Most are very good, dedicated, and rational
> public servants. The problems arise when some less qualified
> individuals develop a vendetta attitude. This can be very problematic.

I don't know how far off the topic of pelargoniums and geraniums we are
allowed to get here...but I think there is reason for concern if we are
involved in trading seeds and plants. Or if we simply enjoy looking at

On the one hand we are told this is a "Conspriacy Theory" and on the other
we are told about problems that arise "when some less qualified individuals
develop a vendetta attitude." Either scenario is scarey!

I would urge everyone to read the proposal and the arguments against it and
decide for themselves.

(Before anyone points out that "of course J. L. Hudson is biased" you should
not disregard his comments. Since he is in the business of buying and
selling seeds, disruption of this process could mean the loss of his

Mary Bordi
You can make it illegal, but you can't make it unpopular.