Re: Ivies

  • Subject: Re: Ivies
  • From: William F Hummel <wfhummel@COMCAST.NET>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:42:39 -0700

Hello Gwen,

I'm glad to hear that the UK is represented on this list.  When I was
invited to be a founding member of the IGS, I remember thinking that
the name chosen for the new society was rather presumptive.  There
were several geranium societies in existence around the world at that
time, but none with such an ambitious moniker as "International".
=46rankly I was a little surprised to learn that the IGS is still in
existence when I tuned in again recently.  I assume that it has been
going continuously since its founding, but wouldn't be surprised to
learn that it went dormant for a few years. =20

I am not currently a member of the IGS, but am interested in
exchanging views and experiences with anyone who has learned to love
and understand geraniums, and ivies in particular.  Living in nearly
ideal climate for growing them outdoors, I have had no experience with
them as delicate indoor potted plants.  But I can understand why those
in cold winter areas would come to appreciate them far more as
individual plants rather than as bedding plants.

I have kept patio displays of ivies in hanging baskets, although I
don't currently grow them that way.  That was how I displayed the
choicest varieties in my collection when it was at its peak.  The
collection is long gone now, but I have kept some of the finer
varieties.  And since I do enjoy container gardening, one of my
favorites, Nutmeg Lavender, now grows in a couple of larger containers
(7gal), and most pleasing to the eye.  That particular variety seems
to me to be unsurpassed as a container plant in terms of habit as well
as attractive and abundant flowering.

You have mentioned several varieties, most of which I haven't heard of
before.  Of course names do get changed, but I suspect there are also
many new fine varieties that have been introduced in the last thirty
years.  I'm curious about Ekva since you and Sandy have both mentioned
it.

Surprisingly nurseries in the Los Angeles area have very little in
ivies this spring, even though this is where ivies are still to be
seen in large bedding displays.  The Moneta Nursery, which is about
the largest retail nursery in the area, can't get stocks of ivies for
some reason.  I've also notice that zonals are in relatively short
supply, but regals are plentiful.  I have to assume that zonals and
ivies have not been selling as well recently.  The geranium as a
landscape plant does go through cycles, as we all know, and this may
be one of those troughs.

William