[IGSROBIN] Question on soil.

There is a debate going amongst some of my Internet plant friends that I
thought I had the answer to, but others don't agree. Maybe those of you who
deal with potted plants a lot can help us with the answer:

Everyone knows that you can't save steps by planting a small plant in a large
pot of soil instead of stepping it up an increment at a time, because it will
likely rot. On the other hand, a small, healthy plant put into a garden
usually doesn't have a problem with rotting. What is the main difference?

Thanks for your input. - Judith