Re: Comparisons

Hi Barry,

I had Redondo and it is a very nice plant.  But, was consolidating and let it go as it got a bit too large from my wants, and it did have a zone as I recall.  A friend in Sacramento has one, so I could look at it again.  It was from one of Mr. Read's seeds sold through Park Seeds, grown on by Mrs. Lumsden of Redondo Beach, who showed it to Alice Bode to confirm it was special.

  I did keep Edith Steane, another red, but with a zone.  For a different red, my current favorite is East Sussex.  It is a soft red, and the leaf is dark with a zone and a lighter butterfly center.  It keep blooming away where others are not.  And, the stems are a lovely red.  The other one I really like, but is more of a rose red is Wilf Vernon.  The dark leaves have a thin zone, and it just likes to stay in a rounded compact shape without pinching.  It is not so dense that you have to go in and remove lots of center leaves.

Re the purples, let Arizona go as it was too big, but have not found another of that particular shade.  I think Bianca is the darkest and most compact of this color.  Have also Royal Carpet, Royal Norfolk, and Tuddenham (going more toward the red side).  Bianca and Royal Norfolk seem to bloom more often.

Your Foxfire was a light lavender, correct?  I have never seen it.  Can you give a description?

Sandy

Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sandy,

I don't have the Kerrigan Goblin now. Years ago I had a cutting snipped from
some public planting that I later identified as Goblin. It was a great
performer. I think the petals were a bit more irregular than I really like,
but the red color and the dark leaves were very striking. That said, I don't
fully trust myself to identify varieties that I find or get without data (what
the courts would call "chain of custody" for evidence) and always mark the
plant with a "(?)" on labels and in my notes. I confess I've sometimes done
that with plants received from growers that didn't quite conform to my
understanding or memory of the variety. This Goblin(?) did not have a white
center, but I don't remember the stigma.

Do you grow Redondo? I remember that being similar to "Kerrigoblin."
Comparisons?

Best,

Barry