Redondo and Edith Steane

  • Subject: Redondo and Edith Steane
  • From: Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:52:02 -0700

I always learn things from you, too.  It is great to learn about the history
behind Redondo.  I often wondered whether any plants grown from Read's seeds
would turn out to be keepers.  Guess I was not alone.  I sometimes see red
dwarf geraniums in street planters that I think are this variety.  (Once ran
across several gallon can plants in a nursery's back lot, with silvery gnarly
old trunks and such a bad case of rust that I backed away as soon as I could!)
I think it grows into a fairly large plant for a dark dwarf -- like your
experience of it -- and has a lot of landscaping applications because of that
where smaller plants, better behaved on the collection bench, would get lost.

I have Edith Steane -- definitely in the same flower class -- and it grows well
for me (under trying conditions of wind and fog).  I should look at it closer
to make comparisons with Redondo and Kerrigoblin.

(to be continued ...)

--- Sandy Connerley <sandy_connerley@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
> I had Redondo and it is a very nice plant.  But, was consolidating and let it
> go as it got a bit too large from my wants, and it did have a zone as I
> recall.  A friend in Sacramento has one, so I could look at it again.  It was
> from one of Mr. Read's seeds sold through Park Seeds, grown on by Mrs.
> Lumsden of Redondo Beach, who showed it to Alice Bode to confirm it was
> special.
>   I did keep Edith Steane, another red, but with a zone.  For a different
> red, my current favorite is East Sussex.  It is a soft red, and the leaf is
> dark with a zone and a lighter butterfly center.  It keep blooming away where
> others are not.  And, the stems are a lovely red.  The other one I really
> like, but is more of a rose red is Wilf Vernon.  The dark leaves have a thin
> zone, and it just likes to stay in a rounded compact shape without pinching.
> It is not so dense that you have to go in and remove lots of center leaves.

Do you Yahoo!?