Re: Geranium "Vancouver Centennial'

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Geranium "Vancouver Centennial'
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 23:50:57 EST

In a message dated 12/2/01 11:17:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
eulen@TAOSNET.COM writes:

<< I took a cutting of V.C. from my very large pot when I moved from Montana
 to New Mexico last spring. It took ages to root, unlike some other
 stellars, and I still hover over it like a mother hen.  I keep it dry until
 the leaves begin to go soft, and give it as much natural sunlight as
 possible in winter (N.M. summer sun at 7,000' can burn a lot of plants).  I
 believe light is the critical factor here.  Try placing yours in a south
 window in the heated part of your house.  It's worth saving because a
 large, bushy plant with sun-darkened leaves is extremely handsome.  Another
 similar pellie but with even darker coloring is 'Purple Heart' which I got
 from Faye Brawner.  It seems less temperamental. >>

Thanks for the two messages.  I did decide to try a warmer location and got
faster wilt.

Yesterday I gave the plant a tug and it came up in my hand with no roots to
speak of.  The underground stem looked chewed off.

I washed clean that underground stem and it looked yukky so I got out the
clippers and started clipping it back about 1 cm. at a time.  The underground
stem was black in color through to the center.  As I cut up the plant the
entirely black stems continued until getting near the top where there were a
few stems green around the outer perimeter and black in the center.  Four
cuttings were fully green and very small cuttings at that.  The rest of the
plant was discarded along with the soil.

Obviously it was wilting as the stems being diseased could transport no water
to the leaves.

I suppose this the famed pelargonium black leg disease.  I would conclude
that since these plants have very small root systems they should probably be
in small pots or at least watered from the bottom up, leaving a dry surface.

I have put the cuttings in a box I use for cuttings and used a rooting
hormone on them.  Idon't have much hope for this plant but it might be a good
thing to remember that these dwarf and species have small root systems.

Regarding stellars who knows what it means: " five fingered zonal
pelargoniums"? If it is not five fingered what else is there?

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY