Re: Karoo Pride

  • Subject: Re: Karoo Pride
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 20:54:03 -0700

What's to confuse?  "Seed parent" obviously means the plant (or flower)
that is producing the ovum - unless you're thinking in Biblical terms.
Pollen parent first is how horse pedigrees are worded: "Fosforita (MF
Eclipse x Rosetta K) or "Fosforita the daughter of MF Eclipse out of
Rosetta K".  In the horse world the sire is usually the more-widely
publicized therefore listed first, although among breeders a good dam is
equally if not even more highly valued.

In other words, horticulturally speaking the 'x' = "by".  In equine-speak
the 'x' = "out of".

All this is to say that what you 'always thought' is of course correct.
And you've been in the business a lot lot longer than I :-)