Re: [IGSROBIN] Angels

-----Original Message-----

>Do you refer to angels by any other terms than "angels" in your society?

Angel pelargoniums are all called "Angels" (which they may well be) by most
people in Britain. This includes the National Angel Pelargonium Collection
holder, Derek Lloyd Dean.

For a while some nurseries and show people called these, then, very small
group of plants, Dwarf Regals (Martha Washingtons). I don't why because they
had no reason, but its very rare these days to find this term used for

Two or three years ago Hazel Key coined the term "Decorative" for those
"Angel type" pelargoniums that do not (appear to) have P. crispum in their
breeding line. This she thought had to be their to have the right to use
"Angel". Hazel is the "Curatrix" of the National Pelargonium Collection
(which is in a glasshouse at Fibrex Nurseries), and on the Floral "B"
committee of the RHS, so she has a degree of influence. Only one other
Nursery has adopted the term as yet. I don't know if this action is valid or
not. I do know that some cultivars listed in the Decorative section of the
Fibrex Nurseries catalogue (Hazel herself has now retired from the running
of the nursery) had far less in common with the "Decorative Angles" than
"the Accepted Angels" did with these "Decorative Angels". The National Angel
Pelargonium Collection holder does Not use the Decorative classification
himself although he makes an aside reference in his catalogue to avoid total
confusion. I have never seen anything in print from Hazel to back-up this
new section and I'm not aware she contacted either of our National societies
on the matter.

Faye Brawner, who probably grows more "Angel" cultivars than the National
Collection at Fibrex, has given her opinion of this decision to further
subdivide the Genus in the BEGS publication, the Geranium Gazette, No 99
Summer 1998. Faye visited Hazel this summer so it is possible that this
subject as discussed.

The BPGS does not have any specific stand on the subject, BEGS and the joint
judges panel have not stated one yet, which by default means All "Angels"
are accepted as such at the National show, as they are by most if not all
Local shows.