[IGSROBIN] New Australian species

Dear Alby,

Until a few days ago I had never heard of Australian pelargonium species
other than P. australe ans P. rodneyanum. Then I got the seventh volume of
tyhe Encyclopedia of Australian Plants. By Volume 7 they have got around to
the P's. So I looked and there were several I had neveer heard of before.
One of them sounds quite nice - P. havlasae. A dwarf with underground tubers
and flowers 2 cm across' white to pale pink  which "can be profuse and
conspicuous'.

What caught my attention was that it comes from Western Australia in Avon,
Eyre and  Roe Districts. I know those are very hot, dry areas. A few months
ago we were told at this site by somebody in Perth (was it Maysie Parke?)
that nobody had succeded in growing Pels of any kind north or northeast from
there. Now I hear there is at least one native to those areas. I'm sure she
(if is was Maysie) was probably thinking of the more domesticated kinds but,
it still  goes to show there is hope.

Do you, or anyone else out there know of P. havlasae? At any rate it's good
to hear there aree some good ones that do not come from South Africa.

Andrew
San Diego, California