Re: Growing from seeds

Dear Ronald,

I have been growing my own hybrids from seed for about ten years and the
method which I have settled on is as follows.

1. Remove the seed from the awn(the bit with the feather on it)if attached.
2. Scratch the surface of the seeds with a needle.
3. Put them into a glass of water .
4. Dip a needle into washing up liquid and touch the surface of the water.
This will encourage the seeds
     to sink.
5. Leave the seeds for about two days, they should by this time be swollen.
6. Put the seeds onto blotting paper or a J cloth and cover them with the
same material, ensure
    that the material is kept moist but not sodden. (I put mine in a
margarine tub and keep the lid on).
7. In a further two days they should be showing signs of root development.
8. Carefully put them into a potting mix. ( I use a mix of 50% silver sand
and 50% potting compost.)
9. Water well by placing pot into a container to soak up from the bottom,
remove when the surface is wet.
10 . Place in a sheltered place.

The main body of the above was extracted from the March 1994 journal of the
South Australian Geranium and Pelargonium Society and was published here in
the UK in 1995 in volume 43 issue 3 of Pelargonium News.

Hope this helps, growing from seed is contagious especially if they are your
own crosses. I have tried several other methods but this one give me the
highest success rate.

Kind regards.

Steve Pollard.