Re: Bacterial Fasciation

Hi Cynthia,

We had a discussion about this around a year ago that you might beable
to find in the archives. I started that discussion when I found a
reference to the "infection" in an old Helen Van Pelt Wilson on
Geraniums (a decent basic book on Geraniums) .

I have seen it on a number of my scenteds. I tried to culture some of
the growth to see if I could get it to grow as a separate plant but it
didn't seem to work for me. I think it could still be done if someone
was wanting to be adventurous. Not sure what one would come up with.

One of my Orange scented Pellies had quite a bit of it around its base.
I have heard that the bacteria makes itself a part of the plant and even
cuttings will have it but I now have an orange scented that hasn't
exhibited the trait even thought its parent plant had an aggressive
case.
Maybe cuttings will eventually give you a faciation free plant.

It really can get to looking alien at times. Some of what I have had
started looking like the surface of a brain. On of those little
mysteries of nature.
Sincerely,
Dale Neil
Rock Island, Ill Zone 5 (maybe becoming zone 6 or 7 these days)