Re: Fancy Leaf Zonals

  • Subject: Re: Fancy Leaf Zonals
  • From: ECPep@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:17:23 EST

In a message dated 2/26/04 7:58:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, DMadrone@AOL.COM

> Oh...old timers, like Skies of Italy

Skies of Italy is not a good grower for me though I tried for a number of
years.  The flower color is sort of incompatible with the leaf, coppery orange.
Then I found (a big wide name guess here) Betty Shellard. Betty has a compact
form not growing out of a six inch pot and the flowers are a soft pink.  The
leaves are tri-colored and attractive.  Skies is still around and sold here at
special botanic sales.  Betty (or maybe it is Bette) is easy to root and very
persistent, little root rot.  As said in the earlier post Skies is an old one,
Betty is also.   Some of these get woody around the base in time and you want
a new plant.  Easy rooting is a good thing for me.  Good thread.

Claire Peplowski
NYS zone 4 US