[IGSROBIN] Geranium arboreum

Dear Robin,

With G. arboreum so threatened I do think it should be propagated and grown
where it can be protected. An example in point is the monotypic succulent
genus Brighamia. It was found on nearly vertical cliffs of one of the
islands of Hawaii (was it Kauai?) in a very limited location. Most people
feared it was doomed once it had be found because it is such a choice plant
and because of the climatic requirement of year-round uniform but cool
temperatures, strong sunlight, moisture and wind - all of which resemble
Geranium arboreum's conditions.

Well, the good news is that it was found far easier to propagate and grow in
cultivation and was found to have a much wider tolerance of conditions than
originally feared. It is still on the Federal Endangered Species List but
each time I attend a succulent show I am almost sure to find it there. So,
perhaps a few seeds in the right hands should be tried by somebody. Or
tissue culture?

Another case, Pelargonium cotyledonis has more specimens in cultivation than
in the wild, I understand.

San Diego, California