Re: [IGSROBIN] Heat box for starting cuttings

Cindi,
I made my 2' X 4' propagation box from 3/4'' wood.  Lined the inside of the box
first with 1/2" styrofoam insulation board (keeps the heat in the box during
winter) then heavy plastic. I tied the heating cable to a piece of hardware cloth
cut to fit the inside of the box.  Chicken wire would also work. This keeps the
cable from 'floating' surface when adding/removing pots or flats from the box.
The mesh is placed on about 1" of sand and covered with about 2 more inches.  I
keep the sand damp to prevent hot spots from developing and cooking cuttings.  I
don't root directly into the sand because if disease developed all of the sand
would have to be changed.   I also drilled holes into the wood on the 4' sides
and place heavy wire hoops in the holes.  I can drape plastic or shading over the
hoops depending on the time of year and what I'm growing.  I root cuttings and
start seeds in the box and it has worked out well for "homemade".