[IGSROBIN] red crawlers

Dear Robins,

Today I found some very small red crawlers on my Pelargonium paniculatum.
They are about 2 mm long and a fifth of that across. This is the only plant
so afflicted. It did not emerge from dormancy about four months ago like the
others. Then the main stem (about 18 inches tall) began to shrivel. I
stopped watering, examined the roots and everything seemed in good shape
below ground. It is in a mix of sand, pumice and some sandy soil.

So, it looks as though these crawling nasties are at least partners in crime
if not wholly resposible for it. I have doused the plant with the systemic

Based on what I have said can anyone offer a lead on the criminal?

San Diego, California