Re: Strong growers

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Strong growers
  • From: "Cynthia S. Lohry" <Hedgehug@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:37:29 EDT

I've been off line for awhile, so please forgive me if I am repeating someone
else's question to you.  Which variegated and tricolor plants are you growing

I also like the variegated & tricolors and I grow them outside in the garden.
 I've been particularly pleased with how well Mrs. Henry Cox performed,
creating a 3 foot mound of those gorgeous leaves.  Skies of Italy also is
doing well, but is a bit less vigorous and is about half the size.  I planted
Platinum against a fence and now have difficulty finding the fence and will
probably pull the plant out because it was too vigorous.  I'll take cuttings
and keep it in a pot from now on.  Or, I'll move it down the hill into the
dogs' run where it can go wild and not get in the way.  Vancouver Centennial
is also doing nicely in the border.

The only other stellar I am growing in the ground at this time is Bird
Dancer, which has formed a compact mound about 1.5 feet across.  The foliage
is so dense that I prune out some of the inside branches to let in the light
and air.  I have it in the border of the garden so it doesn't get lost by the
larger growing plants.

I'm also growing Happy Appleblossom in the garden for the first time, and it
has made a large, untidy bush in the corner that needs to be pinched back as
soon as I can get to it.  The yellow butterfly variegation on the leaves is
more subtle than some of the others, but quite nice.  And since I like the
rosebuds, I decided I had to try to get it larger so that I can take cuttings
off to share with others.

There are others out there, but these are the ones that came to mind first.

Cynthia Lohry