Re: IGSROBIN Digest - 16 Jul 2002 to 17 Jul 2002 (#2002-88)

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] IGSROBIN Digest - 16 Jul 2002 to 17 Jul 2002 (#2002-88)
  • From: "Laurie A.E. O'Meara" <Laurie@LAEOM.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:38:01 -0400

Hi Cynthia- thanks for the info on the Regals- I have an air-conditioned
room that I will move the oldest one too - I never would have guessed they
needed a cold treatment -

Hi Cindi- I am only familiar with rusts that affect trees and junipers -
those usually have two hosts such as Hawthorne/Juniper and the rust needs
both hosts to survive (one spore stage on each host).  I did look up rusts
in general though and my reference says that "they can attack and survive
only on living tissue" and that most rust fungi have fives stages of spore
forms- so my "guess" would be without a chemical treatment of the soil, the
spores are probably still there, even if in one stage that will develop into
another which will attack plants. It says the spores spread by air currents
and water spray- It does say that spores in plant residue (such as the soil)
remain viable for "long periods" - This is referencing Chrysanthemum white
rust which is "the only quarantinable rust on ornamentals", I don't know if
that's also zonal rust.- It mentions Ferbam as a treatment.