Re: Zonal rust

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Zonal rust
  • From: Cynthia Pardoe <RegalArt@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:47:45 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/02 5:36:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Hedgehug@AOL.COM

 Does anyone know how long the organism that causes zonal rust remains viable?
  I took a zonal out of the ground that was infected, removed all the leaf
 debris, etc but am concerned spores are in the ground that would infect a new
 zonal put into that area of the garden.
That's a good start I wouldn't have taken it out of the ground though. Open
up the plant give it a good dry air circulation environment. Water it just at
the base of the plant on occasion and do it in the morning time, not in the
evenings. Keep leaves dry on the plant. Night watering will rebreed spores
especially in our San Diego humid climatic times. Before you know it those
rust spores can invade the zonals in the ground or in pots.  Keep an eye out
for rust under the leaves but always save a few leaves on the plant even if
there are a few rust spores on it. The plant needs them in order to make
photosynthesis and stay alive. When more leaves grow remove some more and you
can bet the rust will go away as the plant grows more foliage. Just keep up
the RUST PATROL  and back off on the watering.
This really works!
Cynthia P.