Re: Pelargonium triste

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium triste
  • From: maria guzman <mirror@3RIVERS.NET>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:38:32 -0600

Last month I received a shipment of species including a couple of P. triste
(from seed collected at different locales).  These are all in the sections
Horea and Polyactium, therefore tuberous.  Most were dormant but several
were still obviously in leaf.

I have never grown these kinds of species either, so read what I could and
asked around.  Yes they are SUPPOSED to sleep through the summer, but my
supplier lives in the Bay Area north of San Francisco where temperatures
had been very cool and damp, alternating with heat.  Ergo some of them were
evidently confused.

I took them all down to my cellar where it's cool and dim yet three of them
(including one of the P. triste) only continued to grow and stretch toward
the light.  So now I've taken these three and put them in my garage doorway
where they receive morning sun but not the worst heat of the day.  (I live
in Montana where the temp's have been in the 90's and over 100 F, really
hot for us.)  You have to follow the plants' lead in this.  I'm beginning
to feel it's rather like dancing and not stepping on your partner's feet!
Give it minimal water until it looks like it wants to go to sleep.  Then
put it in the shade and wait.

BTW are you familiar with this e-list?  Check it out.

Maria

>Dear friends,
>
>A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to find P. triste at Tuingoed Foltz
>(a nursery) in Meeden, Groningen in The Netherlands. It was in a
>10cm/4inch pot and had a few carrotlike leaves coming from a central
>base. The leafcolour is greyish green. The point is: what to do with it
>now?
>
>In my opinion this plant should die down at some point, go to sleep and
>come to life again later on. But: is it going to do that spontaneously?
>Or should I stop watering at some point? Should I wait for it to flower?
>I would really like to keep it and as I'm not taking any risks it's
>indoors now, in a southfacing window in rather sandy soil. Any tips?
>
>I feel like one of those stupid people who buy an exotic pet and
>suddenly realize they don't know how to care for it... My excuse is that
>I have quite a few pellies (cultivars and species)that do well, but this
>type is new to me. Please mail your suggestions! Thanks!
>
>Jip Bier
E4ugel, Alkmaar, Netherlands