Re: Capillary Matting

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Capillary Matting
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:51:31 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/02 8:51:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sevenmi@DNC.NET

, but it
 would be easy to emulate at home. >>

For home cuttings another method is PVC pipe.  You cut lengths of pipe, any
width, smaller is better and line up the pipe cuts in a wooden box.  You fill
with clean sand (mix with peat if desired) and insert the cutting. Fill to
the top with sand and water until the water runs through the botton.  Put the
box into a plastic plan in half sun in a warm place and cuttings strike
nearly 100%.  You need to just push out the plant, rooted and pot.  Many
cuttings can be done this way using a small space and with ease of moving
around.  Cuttings in my part of the country root best in June.

Watering can be done by adding water to the plastic pan and it is wicked up
through the sand.  If you are not sure of the wicking process you can add a
piece of old clothesline or any cotton wicking.  When I first tried this I
ended with so many plants, I had to discard some.  I do two cuttings to a
length of pipe being careful to remove any cutting that does not look healthy.

Claire Peplowski
NYS zone 4