Re: help with P. Auracana

  • Subject: Re: help with P. Auracana
  • From: John MacGregor jonivy@EARTHLINK.NET
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:45:51 -0700

on 6/29/03 5:04 PM, Alexander Perez at alejw@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:

> Hello there!
> I am hoping someone out there has some culture tips for my P. Auracana.  I
> can't find any info on this plant.  I just purchased it at the L.A. IGS show
> at Descanso Gardens last month and it seems to be dying on me.  Here are the
> symptoms:
> Leaves turning brown around edges and curling inward to point of dropping off.
> Almost all the leaves are gone!  I had transplanted it when it was healthy to
> a clay pot with good draining soil mix with sand and perlite.  Any pointers
> out there would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Alex Perez
> Pasadena, CA USA

I don't have an answer for you, but there has to be something wrong with
that name.  "Auracana" refers to a region in Southern Chile, Araucania, and
has been applied to plants from their region, like Araucaria araucana.  If
your "P." refers to Pelargonium, I cannot find any record of a species of
Pelargonium with that name, and it is unlikely that any such exists.  There
is no rule that says that a plant's specific epithet has to be appropriate,
but most are, and Pelargoniums are  all native to the Old World--mostly
southern Africa.  Are you sure you read the label right?  Was it

Could it possibly be P. arenicola?

John MacGregor
South Pasadena, CA 91030
USDA zone 9   Sunset zones 21/23