Re: [IGS] Sarcocaulon question

Collin Rhoades asked:

>> Is there any advice the people on the robin might want to share with me
>> as I am getting my first sarcocaulon next week. Some questions I have
>> are would it do okay in my C&S soil. how often do you water during the
>> summer dormancy etc.

Sarcocaulons do just fine in C&S mix. I use a mix of pumice, perlite and
sand and about 10 percent of ordinary soil. On summer dormancy not everone
seems to agree on whether dormancy is the right thing to achieve. Anyhow,
under the asumption that you want to go through with itI'd keep the plant
in a place where the roots do not get cooked. Sitting in a container in the
Texas sun is a lot different from being in the ground. Maybe sink your
container in the ground. Water given once every four weeks is probably
enough from what I've seen done in Southern Cal. You could go longer if the
container is deep and the plant well established but otherwise that would
be as long as I'd leave in the mix as it dries quickly and leaves little
residual moisture.

San Diego, California