Re: [IGSROBIN] pel book

At 21:45 8-6-1999 +0200, you wrote:
>Greetings everybody,
>
>Does anyone have any news on the book 1001 Pelargoniums? Is this the only
>pellie book soon to be published?
>
>Answer to 'curious in Sweden'...where is is raining...and I just discovered
>an anthill under a pot that I left upside down on the lawn.....the anthill
>was a PERFECT replica of the pot!
>
>Ingrid

Dear Ingrid and other pelly lovers,

I have been inquiring after the book by Hazel Key in Amsterdam and the
bookshop there (Architectura & Natura, Leliegracht, for those in the
Netherlands)says it has already been published or will soon be published. I
have given them my name and will hear from them as soon as they know anything.

Meanwhile I have been discovering pellies everywhere. I do my utmost to be a
polite nuisance when I find pellies without labels or with the wrong labels.
Why is it that fuchsias are often sold neatly labelled, whereas pellies
aren't? After all, 99% of fuchsias are only interesting when in flower. They
are lovely, but I find pelargoniums and geraniums more interesting and more
useful in my southfacing garden.

On a few expeditions I found, for example, P.ionidiflorum labelled with 'P.
peltatum'. Today I found a sign saying (in Dutch) 'new geranium variety',
only to discover that it was a stellar pelargonium with brownish leaves
(probably 'Vancouver Centennial') (both actually at Het Groene Warenhuis
Groot & Slot in Heerhugowaard). I decided some time ago to buy only labelled
varieties or ones I know, but confronted with something unlabelled but
lovely I usually give in and buy it. I am doing my best to ask what these
plants are, but , though I am very friendly, most people will think I have
escaped from somewhere.

As a matter of fact a few weeks ago I also bought a lovely unique in very
bright purplepink. It could be 'Jessel's Unique', but that is my tentative
guess. It is a very striking colour, you might call it magenta or fuchsia or
cyclamen,  so I bought it. Especially in the evening it is a stunning
colour, and a nice plant too.

Anyway, these are my frustrations in the pelly area. Last year I also bought
a few plants of yellowish 'Creamery'. They were sort of creamy, double, very
floriferous, nice plants, but they did not survive and neither did the
cuttings I took. I haven't seen them this year yet here in Holland, but
perhaps... you never know.

It's so nice to read all the geranium and pelly mail, thank you
all!

Jip Bieräugel
Alkmaar, Holland