Re: hybridizing question

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] hybridizing question
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:05:59 -0700

From my limited experience with hybridizing zonals (dwarf and miniature)
"most" are not necessarily sterile; however you just have to find out for
yourself which ones are and aren't.  If a cultivar makes seedpods i.e. is
self-fertile, then obviously you can use it as pollen or female parent.  I
don't know of any list of suitable parents to use for breeding.  It's catch
as catch can.  Part of the adventure of hybridizing.

But I think all the species are cross-fertile.  Somebody correct me if I'm
wrong.

Maria Guzman