Re: Dwarf and Miniature

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Dwarf and Miniature
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 08:36:17 -0700

>In a message dated 3/3/02 12:48:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>sandyc@SURFARI.NET writes:
><< What have you tried to achieve in a plant when hybridizing your
> miniatures and dwarfs?  I collect those and hope to try hybridizing in
> about a year and a half when I am settled. >>
>Claire Peplowski

I've only spent one season hybridizing my plants and didn't have much of a
plan - just experimenting to see what I'd get.  I have a couple (out of
several dozen crosses) that seem worth saving and I plan to use these F1's
and cross them back with several other of my plants and again 'see what
happens'.  I favor stellars and colored leaves (flowers are just a bonus
IMO) and that's more or less what I have in mind.  I would have saved more
of the F1's but I was moving and had to lighten my load.  You can't know
what recessive genes your crosses may harbor until you cross them back
again a second time.  (Or even a third.)

>I have about fifteen of these small plants, a few are species.  Where are
>sources in the US for small and miniature pelargoniums?  Species? Succulent
>species?  I have acquired mine very slowly.

The major source is Faye Brawner:  Deerwood Geraniums,
Rt. 4, Box 525A, Buckhannon, WV 26201, USA.
Tel: (304) 472-4203                      Catalogue $5.

I strongly recommend her.

>Species? Succulent
species?  I have acquired mine very slowly.
She sells species as well, but for succulent pellies you should look up

and take it from there.  There's lots of information on the web if you hunt
for it and follow links.  Try also "succulent pelargoniums" or "-
geraniums" on your search engine.

Maria Guzman