Re: Formatosum

  • Subject: Re: Formatosum
  • From: Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:15:23 -0800

I've heard of 'Formatosum' -- somewhere -- and I'm searching the recesses of my mind.  I have a vague feeling that it may have been in the catalogue of Cooks or another mail order seller back in the 1970s.  Supposedly a hybrid of P. acetosum and cultivar 'Formosum.'  I also remember thinking why would anyone want to make that cross?  What characters would either parent have that would be useful in the other?  Obviously someone thought it would be worth the effort.

Barry Roth

Sandy Connerley <sandy_connerley@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:
Hi,

I was given a plant that looks somewhat like the species acetosum, but has a
label of formatosum. I have searched all my books and all the species sites
on the web to no avail. My friend in England said she had one once but has
not seen them available. Does anyone know about this? Is it something that
was named in error in the past? It is supposed to have a darker coral
flower compared to acetosum. The foliage and habit seem similar.

Sandy
Do you Yahoo!?