  • From: CyrilBjr@CS.COM
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 18:37:33 EDT

I would like information that will help me reduce my failures when sowing
pelargonium seeds.  My failures have the following characteristics:

1. Seeds develop fuzzy or other molds on the surface of the seed. Is any
pretreatment useful?

2. Seeds swell but do not sprout. Investigation show them to be internally
soft and mushy. This has happened with recently acquired seeds as well as
with old seeds. I read somewhere that very old seeds fail because they absorb
water too fast. Is scarifying and soaking not desirable for old seeds?

3. Nothing happens. Seeds have been scarified and soaked. Is it some are just
not viable, or need some special kind of treatment?

What do you do to overcome these problems?
Please reply at IGS Robin or direct at cyrilBjr@cs.com