[IGS] Van der Walt

Cindi, Ingrid, Phil and anybody else,

I just got my hands on the three volumes of this book today. It is most
impressive - thanks for the recommendations. Most aspects of the books were
just great for somebody like me who is a relaitive newcomer to this genus
and will help me with species recognition. I liked the drawings which are
more useful than photographs unless the photos are really well done, which
is not often the case. A few of the drawings, while accurate in line detail
did not do the colors justice. They are a bit too clinical without showing
what a real plant is like. I have seen P. fulgidum and P. echinatum in
flower both in and near the Richtersveld in South Africa and I can honestly
say that the real colors leave those in the book far behind. Sometimes it
helps to see the plant in full flower, contrasted against its background or
to see it in its location, between other plants or emerging among rock
crevices. Good photography can do this but how often do you see it? Too
often you see the flower in great detail with a black background or you see
a plant with a sickly green or photographed without enough depth of focus.

San Diego, California