Re: [IGSROBIN] what's in a name?

Hello again Andrew,
The reason has been lost in antiquety.   Let us say there has been long
argued views about the asignment of "Botanical Names" as opposed to
"Popular" names.
Some genus enthusiasts like things to be nice and tidy so we have for
example the Orchid people alloting a Permanent Name to every particular
crossing, a view I may add has a lot of merit and you can find the
ancestary of any cymbidium orchid something we regretably are not able to
do with the Geraniaceae family.  This information would be invaluable to
current hybridizers.
P.hortorum is as you would be aware the name for Zonals.   P.peltatum is
actually the species name for the originator of Ivies so P.x peltatum is
indicating that the form/var. is an unnamed peltatum hybrid.
I would not think that you would find reference to the botanical names very
often, particularly amongst the commercial world and these terms are rarely
encountered amongst individuals.
No there have been no recorded crosses betweem regals and zonals and unless
we become involved in genetic manipulation there will not be any. Regals
are part of the Pelargonium/Pelargium sub-genus whilst Zonals belong to an
entirely different family known as Ciconium.  Ivies, that is P.Peltatum
from their own family have crossed with zonals or Ciconiums.   It has been
thought that the (sub-genus)Pelargonium family may cross with the Peltatums
and thus the resultant hybrid may then cross with a Ciconium.  Personally
my opinion for what its worth is "NUTS".